Committee for the Eleventh Five Year Plan (2007-2012)
Dated 11th May, 2006
It has been decided to set up a Steering Committee on the Energy Sector for the Eleventh Five Year Plan (2007-2012). The Terms of Reference and Composition of the Committee will be as follows:
(A) Terms of Reference
- To assess the energy demand in the country during the next 10-15 years.
- To assess domestic energy resource endowments and production capacities for the years 2011-12 and 2016-17.
- To suggest the optimum level of primary energy mix for various fuels for the years 2011-12 and 2016-17.
- To recommend an optimal fuel-mix for different end-use sectors for the Eleventh Plan keeping in view the domestic availability, inter-modal transport priorities, environmental implications and costs of energy imports,
- To suggest measures for assuring energy security for the country,
- To suggest further measures for encouraging private sector participation based on the experience gained so far.
- To review the steps taken for efficient production and use of energy and to recommend measures for optimum efficiency in these areas including Demand Side Management,
- To suggest policy for development of hydel and nuclear power in the context of energy security for the country,
- To suggest measures for accelerated development of New and Renewable Sources of Energy keeping in view the depleting nature of fossil fuels and their adverse impact on environment,
- To suggest short-term and long-term energy pricing policies for Eleventh and Twelveth Plan respectively.
- To review the existing regulatory framework for the energy sector and to suggest improvements thereof,
- To review the subsidy structure in the energy sector and to suggest measures to reduce the subsidy in the sector,
- To examine the role of government in the Energy Sector in view of the emerging market orientation of the sector.
- Member (Energy), Planning Commission - Chairman
- Secretary, Ministry of Power
- Secretary, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas
- Secretary, Ministry of Coal
- Secretary, Ministry of Non-Conventional Energy Sources
- Secretary, Department of Atomic Energy
- Secretary, Ministry of Finance
- Secretary, Ministry of Surface Transport
- Secretary, Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion
- Secretary, Ministry of Rural Development
- Secretary, Ministry of Urban Development
- Secretary, Ministry of Commerce
- Chairman, Railway Board, Ministry of Railways
- Secretary, Ministry of Environment and Forests
- Dr. R. Chidambaram, Principal Scientific Adviser to GOT
- Chairman, Central Electricity Regulatory Commission
- Director-General, The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI)
- Director-General, Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
- Secretary General, CII
- Secretary General, FICCI
- Secretary General, ASSOCHAtA
- Adviser (Energy), Planning Commission - Member Secretary
2. The Chairman of the Steering Committee may co-opt other experts as he may consider necessary.
3. The Committee will submit its report its report to the Planning Commission by 30th September, 2006.
4. Non-official members shall be entitled to TA/DA as permissible to Grade I officers of Government of India under SR 190(a) and the expenditure will be borne by Planning Commission. The TA/DA of official members will be borne by their respective organizations as per the rules of entitlement applicable to them.
5. Shri R.C. Mahajan, Joint Adviser (Petroleum), Planning Commission, Room No.218, Yojana Bhavan, New Delhi, Tel No. 23096743, will be the Nodal Officer for this Steering Committee and any further query/correspondence in this regard may be made with him.
Back to Index