This File was last Updated/Modified: November 25 2013 15:46:36.
|Through the Plans
|Five Year Plans : First Second Third Fourth Fifth Sixth Seventh Eighth Ninth Tenth Eleventh
The following are the functions of the Agriculture Division:
- To formulate plans for the development of sub-sectors of Agriculture. This involves the following tasks :-
- Setting up of Working Groups on various sub- sectors/subjects for the formulation of Five Year Plan, Annual Plan, finalisation of their composition and terms of reference, processing their reports and preparation of evaluation notes, preparation of background notes identifying the thrust areas that may need specific attention and taking follow up action on the discussion of the Group.
- Identification of policy directions, major strategies and thrust areas for inclusion in the Approach documents of the Planning Commission.
- Preparation of background notes and organising meetings with the concerned Central Departments/Ministries for the finalisation of approaches, policies, strategies, targets, investment priorities etc. in the context of the formulation of Five Year Plans.
- Drafting of sub-sectoral sections for inclusion in the Draft Plan Document.
- Briefs prepared in respect of sub sectors state-wise for the use of Deputy Chairman's discussions with Chief Ministers to finalise Annual Plan outlays. These briefs are made use of by State Plan Advisers in their briefing meetings with Deputy Chairman and Members of the Planning Commission.
- Organising Working Group meetings to finalise Annual and Five Year Plans, draft Five Year Plan proposals and proposals of the State Government. This involves preparation of background papers, discussions on inter-se plan priorities, critical examination of plan proposals in relation to plan objectives and approaches, preparation of Working Group reports giving, interalia, outlays and physical targets.
- Finalisation of Annual Plans of the concerned Central Ministries/Departments and the State Governments. This includes assessment of progress, both in physical and financial terms, in relation to the approved targets and outlays, schemewise examination of the proposals and recommendations regarding targets and outlays for the next Annual Plan.
- To criticaly examine the offered comments on the Expenditure Finance Committee Memos relating to Central Plan schemes. Cabinet Notes, VIP references concerning Agriculture Sector, etc.
- To conduct studies on important matters concerning Agriculture and Allied Sectors.
- To maintain close liaison with the concerned Central Ministries and State Governments and to also coordinate with organisations/ institutions with a view to ensuring follow-up of various Plan policies, strategies and programmes.
- Work relating to Parliament Questions, Parliament Committees, etc.
2. The subjects dealt with in this Division are:
I Agricultural Research and Education :-
- General policies and schemes relating to Agricultural Research and Education, ii) Indian Council of Agricultural Research and various
- Central Research Institutes,
- Development of Agricultural Universities.
II. Agricultural Extension and Administration
- Agricultural Administration at different levels.
- Transfer of Technology to the field
- Strengthening of Extension Machinery
- Coordination and linkage between extension, research and input agencies and local organisation.
- Agricultural Inputs
- Soil and Water Conservation including Land Reclamation
- Rainfed Farming - major crops
- Foodgrain crops like wheat, rice, cereals and pulses,
- Commercial crops like oilseeds, sugarcane, cotton, jute & mesta.
- Plantation crops like coffee, tea, rubber, spices and tobacco.
- Development of Horticulture crops
- Agricultural Statistics
- Agricultural Export
- Small Farmer Agri-Business Consortium
- Animal Husbandry
- Cattle and Buffalo breeding and their development
- Cross-breeding of Cattle
- Feed and Fodder development
- Development of sheep, wool, goat, pigs, equines and mule, etc. including organisation of their cooperatives
- Cattle and Buffalo breeding farms
- Control of livestock diseases
- Biological products and their production
- Establishment or quarantine-cum-certification service stations
- Production of livestock products, i.e., milk, eggs and wool
- Animal Welfare Board
- Compilation of Statistics and Research in respect of Animal Husbandry and Dairying
- Organisation of slaughter house corporation
- Dairying and Milk Supply
- Dairy Development
- Implementation of Operation Flood III Project
- Organisation of marketing of milk and dairy cooperatives
- Establishment of cattle feed plants
- Policies and objectives during the Plan
- Targets of fish production and programmes
- Strategy for fish production
- Marine Fisheries
- Inland Fisheries
- Training and Extension
- Agricultural Marketing, Storage and Warehousing
- Regulation, Management and Development of Markets
- Quality Control
- Marketing, Research, Surveys and Studies
- Agricultural Marketing Extension
- Rural Godowns
- Cooperation, Agricultural Credit and Crop insurance
- Cooperative Credit
- Cooperative marketing
- Cooperative Processing
- Cooperative Storage
- Consumer Cooperatives
- Cooperative education, training and research
- Cooperative for weaker sections e.g. labour cooperatives and transport cooperatives
- Agricultural credit through various institutional sources:
- Commercial banks
- Regional Rural banks
- Crop Insurance