This File was last Updated/Modified: September 18 2014 15:19:32.
Through the Plans
|Five Year Plans : First Second Third Fourth Fifth Sixth Seventh Eighth Ninth Tenth Eleventh
Following are the major functions of the Transport Division:
National Transport Development Policy Committee (NTDPC)>>
- Addressing policy issues concerning railways, roads, road transport, shipping, ports, inland water transport and civil aviation for improving efficiency and making these sectors more responsive to the present and future requirements of the country.
- Addressing inter-modal issues for improving coordination among different transport sectors and ensuring that each sector works according to its comparative advantage and efficiency.
- Organizing Quarterly Performance Review Meetings for different transport sectors to monitor progress of transport sector projects according to Plan priorities and targets.
- Carrying out zero-based budgeting in consultation with various transport sector Ministries to improve efficiency and utilization of resources according to Plan priorities and objectives.
- Work relating to Parliamentary Committees for different transport sectors.
- Examining Five Year and Annual Plan proposals received from the States, Union Territories and North Eastern Council in respect of transport sectors.
- Discussions with the representatives of the State Governments and Union Territories to review physical targets, programmes and outlays of Five Year and Annual Plans of States and Union Territories.
- Examining the proposals of State Governments for provision of Additional Central Assistance.
- Participation in various workshops and seminars relating to the transport sector.
- Formulation, appraisal and monitoring of Five Year and Annual Plans.
- Mid-term review of Five Year Plans.
- Providing inputs for the Working Group Reports on the various transport sectors; preparing Steering Committee Report on Transport Sector.
Specific sector-wise responsibilities are as under:
- Study of Railways Resources position.
- Integrating and coordinating development plans for Railway transport with plans in related sectors such as industry, mining and ports.
- Examination and appraisal of railway projects relating to new lines, gauge conversions, doubling, metropolitan transport projects, electrification for clearance.
- Monitoring of traffic handled by railways
- Determination of traffic targets based on inter-sector linkages.
- Evaluation of project reports/feasibility studies for consideration of Public Investment Board, Expenditure Finance Committee/Standing Finance Committee.
- Examination of schemes received from the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways for clearance of the Planning Commission relating to National Highways, Strategic roads, Roads of Economic and Inter-State importance, road development in sensitive border areas and tribal roads.
- Review and Monitoring of National Highway Development Project comprising Golden Quadrilateral and North-South, East-West corridor projects.
- Examination of proposals from various States in the North- Eastern region for providing assistance through Non-lapsable Central Pool of Resources.
- Examining proposals received for the consideration of High Powered Committee on BOT projects.
- Examining proposals relating to National Highway Development Project for consideration of National Highways Authority of India Board.
III. Road Transport
- Analytical review of operations and assessment of financial resources of Road Transport Corporations of various States.
- Preparation of Review notes of functioning of State Road Transport Undertakings/Corporations for improving efficiency.
- Analytical review of operations and assessment of financial resources of Public Sector Undertakings.
- Coordinating investment programme with a view to ensuring integrated development of ports, shipping and railways.
- Reviewing and assessing the performance of Indian shipping industry with regard to traffic carried and productivity improvement. Requirement of the Indian Shipping sector is assessed taking into account traffic mix, technological development and port facilities available.
- Assessment of financial performance of shipping industry, role of Government/financial institutions in financing acquisition and suggesting alternative measures of financing and resource mobilisation.
- Evaluation of Project Reports/Feasibility Studies for consideration of Public Investment Board/Expenditure Finance Committee/Standing Finance Committee.
- 2.Assessing port capacities and the traffic requirements at individual ports.
- 3.Port productivity indicators such as equipment, cargo-handling system, labour productivity monitored so that norms of productivity laid down should be fulfilled and improved.
- Reviewing the working of major ports with particular reference to their development programmes, financial resources, projection of traffic.
VI. Inland Water Transport.
- Examination of Project/Reports/Feasibility Studies for consideration of Public Investment Board/Expenditure Finance Committee.
VII. Civil Aviation
- Reviewing the Working of Public Sector Corporations like Air India, Indian Airlines, International Airports Authority of India with particular reference to growth of traffic and financial results.
- Evaluation of Project Reports/Feasibility Studies for acquisition of aircrafts, development of airports and associated programmes for consideration of Public Investment Boards/EFC/SFC.
- Matters relating to restructuring of metro air ports to make them world class.
(B) Construction Sector
Construction Sector is an additional charge with the Transport Division. The main responsibility of the Transport Division is to examine the policy issues relating to the construction sector and preparing Report of the Working Group on Construction Sector set up in connection with the formulation of Five Year Plan; preparing material on construction sector for the Tenth Plan document. Other activities include participation in the seminars, workshops and conferences relating to construction sector, participation in the meetings of Board of Governors of Construction Industry Development Council and other organizations in the field of construction.